This post is a follow up to Reuse. After using my oil spray bottles for a couple months I’ve learned a couple more incredibly helpful tips that I really wanted to share!
The first is that the 5ml bottle is rarely large enough and that the 15ml bottle takes up barely noticeable more space in my purse so why not use the larger bottle?
Also, I just learned how to improve the life of your spray tops when using them with essential oils, and how to help them disperse the oil better (thus better using your oils). Here are the tips which I shamelessly stole practically verbatim from aromatools where I buy my essential oil accessories (And no, that isn’t an affiliate link. I just buy from them because they are high quality but inexpensive for many of their items.)
Tips for best use of spray tops:
- If you decide to use essential oils with these spray-tops, it is best to dilute them with a carrier oil or water and epsom salts. (Make sure to get unscented and unaltered epsom salts. Scented salts can have unwanted chemical reactions. The previous link is aromatools version but you can get them at the grocery or a health foods store.) If using the epsom salts, sprinkle them into the bottom of the bottle then add the desired amount of oil. Give the epsom salts a few moments to absorb the oils then fill the remaining space with water. The epsom salts help disperse the oil evenly throughout the water preventing the oil from floating to the top.
- Fill bottle with desired contents.
- Wipe threads of bottle and spray top with clean cloth to ensure the threads are dry and free from any liquid or dust.
- Cut tube on spray top to proper length (approximately 1/16″ above bottom of bottle). Cut tube at an angle. For best results, cut the tube at approximately a 45° angle.
- Screw spray top securely onto bottle (clockwise).
- If spray top becomes stiff, or hard to use, remove spray top from bottle, place the bottom of the tube in warm, soapy water, and spray the spray top a few times until the warm soapy water begins to spray through. Allow to sit for 5 minutes, then spray again with dip tube in warm, plain water to rinse out. Remove dip tube from water and continue spraying until spray top is empty.
I know there’s quite a few tips in this article, but here are the really important tips to take away:
- Read Reuse for how to create sprays that make your essential oils last longer and allow you to use them in more ways
- Use 15ml to create & store your oil sprays in
- Use epsom salts to help disperse the oils better
- Cut the spray tube at a 45° angel for best spraying
One thought on “Essential oil sprays tips”